Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Metropolitan Museum of Art: The Great Sirens

a. Where is this art? What kind of artwork were around this piece? 
     This piece of art was in the modern and contemporary art exhibit. There were other art work around it such as artwork from O'Keeffe. There was also another piece of art called Tomorrow is Never that was very sad to me
b. What about this piece draws your attention? Does it remind you of something else? 
     This painting caught my attention because it was very large and I was actually looking at a painting beside it but it was much smaller so the size was the first thing that I noticed. And then, I saw that there were a bunch of naked ladies but what caught my attention the most was not that they were naked but because the expression they had. None of the women looked happy but they had this dazed look on their face. The ladies sitting looked calm, but it was an unsettling calm. 
c. What do you know about the artwork or artist? 
     This was the first time that I've seen that artwork and I never heard of the artist before. I didn't even know that this art was about sirens until I read the note beside it. That was when I realized that there were sirens in the background on the beach, and they looked like they were praying. That was also when I saw that one man in the painting. This painting was done by artist Paul Delvaux and he was a surrealist. This is his biggest painting. 
  

6 comments:

  1. I really like how the women are set outside with the moon shining brightly and the women naked showing their asset. The color and the setting makes this painting very unique and mysterious. I really like this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I can actually know how large the painting is. I feel the size would definitely add to the first impression. And if the painting was big, the women mus've been big as well. What is the background/description of the painting? I do see why you would say they looked dazed, maybe sad? Because there are so many women, maybe they are kept somewhere or in a place they were not enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this art because it is a candid portrait of what seems to be a small town of women. However it's weird because you would rarely ever see this so I'm questioning where this could actually be taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the women in the piece look calm, or sad. I think they also look elegant, with the moon shining on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This painting seems really interesting and really feminine because of all the people are all females and they are all either naked or half naked. The setting and time seems really interesting because it looks really dark. And the back of the painting or the background seems mysterious and dark. It looks like a cemetery.

    ReplyDelete